Friday, April 22, 2011

On slug tales

Hello. My name is Sluggie. Well, obviously, that isn't my name, since I have a much longer and more impressive name. But the human I am currently residing with is part goldfish and thus she has forgotten my full name. She seems to think it is "Slugbart von Knittlich" or some such silly thing. I have grudgingly allowed her to use the short-version until she can recall my proper name. I wouldn't have put up with it if she hadn't been feeding me crocheted leaves. 

Anyway.


My name is Sluggie and I'm a slug. Not just any slug, mind you, I'm one of the few remaining individuals of the rare Bostonian Mollusca Knittilus breed. We're on the WWF endangered species list. So as you can see, you're in fine company today. I thought I'd take this opportunity to tell you a little about myself.

First of all, I am very fond of flowers. And cookies. Anything is better when you add flowers. And cookies.













I'm a voracious reader, and for some reason I mainly enjoy books about the political situation in the Middle East. I'm quite sophisticated, you see. 

Still, it isn't beyond me to relax and have some fun. Get out of character for a while. Halloween is my favourite holiday, and I always go trick or treating. Sadly, my speed limitations doesn't allow me to visit as many houses as I'd liked, but I do enjoy a good costume.

Count Slugula
By the way - would you like to hear a joke? It's my favourite.

"Waiter, there's a slug in my soup!"
"But of course, it's your cousin Wally."

Why didn't you laugh? Perhaps it'd help if I posted a picture of my cousin Wally:



He's my best friend, but he can also be a pain in the slime. He keeps boasting about his fancy shell, and his ladyfriends. I wish Susie would sell Wally's shell by the seashore. That'd show the slag... Sometimes Wally's bragging makes me feel grumpy.


But for the most part Wally and I get along.

I'm getting tired, so I think I'll wrap things up and slide back into my sleeping bag. It was nice meeting you!





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand if you're once again wondering if I've lost my bonkers I do believe we have established that QUITE some time ago... I can explain why I allowed my blog to be slimed away with (knitted!) slugs today, though.

Me and slugs - we go way back. It's a looooooong story, but let me do the short version: I am/was a Harry Potter geek. In this capacity I spent some time at a Harry Potter website (where I met most of my fellow Burrowers, incidentally). On this site I developed a complicated theory that slugs somehow were important to the Harry Potter series, since they were frequently mentioned. It went as far as me counting how many slug references each book held. I may or may not have written a fanfic about slugs. Slugs and me - it was a thing.

As a consequence of this, the WONDERFUL Leanne (also of the Burrow variety) KNITTED me a slug! That is - as you may have guessed - Sluggie (he really is very offended that I cannot remember his full name).

Finally, today's post is the result of a challenge, which in turn is a result of the challenge that initiated this week - my threesome O-post. Since we had so much fun with the threesome, we decided to extend the challenge to a foursome, where we each posted in each our styles (or our knitted pet's styles...), using four keywords or topics if you like. Tami provided soup. Natasha offered sophisticated. Tara came up with slags. And I couldn't not pick slugs. I have absolutely no idea what any of them will write, but I do have a feeling it will be entertaining. Thus I highly recommend paying them a visit, and learn all you ever wanted to know (and more) about these four fascinating topics...



11 comments:

Sue said...

Snort. Love Count Slugula.

Natasha said...

Now Sluggie is someone after our collective hearts.
I better post mine right away.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A wonderful read Cruella, loved this about Slug, Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne.

LL Cool Joe said...

Ha ha ha. Loved the slug photos and story! Cousin Wally isn't a patch on Sluggie!

Jules said...

LOL, can sluggie come clean the coffee off my keyboard? :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Hart Johnson said...

*snort* I love that you let Sluggie write a blog post!!! He is fabulous, by the way--Leanne rocks!

Amber T. Smith said...

Count Slugula??? *dies* That's awesome! Awesome post, in fact. *nods*

I left you an 's' something on my blog today. ;p

Marjorie said...

If I had been drinking anything I might have spit it out after seeing Count Slugula. haha!

Kelly said...

I'm not much on "real" slugs, but I think Sluggie is awfully cute!! In fact, I have a cockroach (hand-puppet) that would love to meet him!

Anonymous said...

Tehehe. I love it, like, seriously. Awesome. :)

LTM said...

omg! I LOVE that little sluggie! :D too cute~ <3

Related Posts with Thumbnails