Wednesday, March 17, 2010

On master squabbling

ME: Hi. Good to see you. I wanted to talk to you. About… About the wedding.


THESIS: The wedding? What about it?

ME: Well, the thing is… I want to put it off for a while.

THESIS: You’re cancelling our wedding?!?

ME: No! No, no. Postponing it. Just a little. To November.

THESIS: November? What’s wrong with May?

ME: A May wedding is sort of cliché, don’t you think? Everyone else seems to get married in May. Plus I thought that November would give us the chance to think things through. Not rush into this.

THESIS: We’ve been together for almost two years…

ME: Yes, I know, but I just want to make sure we’re doing everything right. This’ll give us the chance to plan better. Both the actual wedding and everything that happens after. Where we’ll live; what we’ll do.

THESIS: Does this have to do with your blog?

ME: Blog? No! Why would it have anything to do with that?

THESIS: You’ve been spending an awful lot of time with your blog lately. Makes me feel insecure, you know.

ME: Oh, come on. You’re much more important to me than my blog! You know that. I can’t even compare how I feel towards the two of you.

THESIS: You’re not seeing your WIP again, are you?

ME: No. I mean, I’ve thought about it, but I know how much that bothers you, so I’ve put that completely on hold.

THESIS: On “hold”? Does that mean that once we’re married..?

ME: Look, I don’t know what will happen then. All I know is that I am completely committed to you. I even quit my job to be with you!

THESIS: You didn’t quit. You’re on a leave of absence. And you’re thinking of getting back to work.

ME: I may have to. You’re not exactly providing me financially…

THESIS: Oh, that’s sensitive. Rub it in my face, won’t you?

ME: I’m sorry, but it’s a fact. Frankly, this is another reason to postpone the wedding. This way I might be able to make some connections, search the job market a little ahead…

THESIS: Likely. Like you won’t waste most of any extra time on Facebook.

ME: Hey, I don’t question your choices…

THESIS: Perhaps it is time you did!

ME: Okay, you’re right. I should pay more attention to you. I promise I will do that. And by postponing the wedding I will have the time to treat you the way I should have treated you all along.

THESIS: Hrmf.

ME: Besides, I’ve already started telling people…

THESIS: You told others you’re postponing our wedding before you told me?!?

ME: Only a few…

THESIS: Did you tell your blog?

ME: No! I may have hinted slightly, but I didn’t tell… I was planning to do so now, actually. After I’d talked to you. In fact, I might just write a summary of this conversation. My blog will understand.

THESIS: What’s that supposed to mean?

ME: Nothing. It’s just – my blog is easier to deal with than you. You are so demanding. My blog is just fun to hang out with.

THESIS: So I’m not fun? Why don’t you marry your blog, then?

ME: That’s not what I meant. I like that you’re challenging me. But sometimes I need simple. I need a life outside our relationship. You can understand that can’t you?

THESIS: As long as you’re absolutely clear on what’s most important to you.

ME: You are. Without a shred of doubt.

THESIS: Alright, then. And on the plus side, this way I’ll have you for myself this summer. No job hunt or post-wedding blues to distract you.

ME: (brave smile) Yeah. That’ll be great. Awesome. I am really looking forward to spending the entire summer with you. Really. A lot.

4 comments:

Hart Johnson said...

I love it, Mari! They're so NEEDY aren't they? Insecure and demanding. But if you ignore them, they sometimes go away, and that's REALLY bad.... So are you feeling relieved to OFFICIALLY (to the blogosphere) postpone?

Natasha said...

You know what, Mari. I almost feel sorry for your poor insecure thesis. But I guess he'll survive.

M.J. Nicholls said...

Mwahahaha! Excellent! I've been having a similar dialogue with my WIP, but with more scenes of violence and strong language.

Cruella Collett said...

Tami - while I don't want my thesis to go away, I certainly wish it would cooperate a little every now and then. But no. I have to do all the work in this relationship!
I guess the blogosphere revelation wasn't as big a deal for me. It was telling the rest of the world that nearly killed me. I guess that can be called relief...

Natasha - haha, one does feel sorry for him, er, it, right? But as mentioned, I really feel this is as much his/its fault as mine!

Mark - oh, should I have included all the *bleep*s, then? There have been violence, but we've come to terms now. I think. We will fight again, I guess.

Related Posts with Thumbnails