Tuesday, September 15, 2009

On being back from Boston

After an amazing week of more or less non-blogging due to more important events - you'll hear all about it tomorrow and the next day and the next day (I've got weeks worth of blog material now...) - I find that I have learned a few things:
1) I missed the routine. The regularity of writing a little every day (which I incidentally still did, but mostly longhand - spent a while searching all the bookshops in both DC and Boston trying to find the "perfect" notebook) really has become something I can do, want to do and intend to continue. I also missed the blogging "community", which means that in the future I will strive to plan ahead and blog also while away.

2) It felt good to be away. (I know, Queen of Contradictions...) But the reason it felt good to be away was a) that at this point it is nice to have confirmation that I am not as addicted to my online time as I think I am, and b) because of the lessons learned (jump back to 1 if you missed this point).

3) There are people out there more random than me. I strive to make it otherwise. (You know who you are, "Socks"...)

4) Finally, there is no point in trying to make sense in a blog when you have just crossed 9 states. Write some rubbish, post up a cartoon, and pretend it's a real post. Save the good stuff for later.


Currently reading: *just* finished Persuasion by Jane Austen (my very first Austen, but don't tell anybody), still working on Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks (which is the first non-Middle East non-fiction I've read in a looooong time)
Currently listening to: We Shoot the Moon - Fear and Love (I randomly picked up this CD in Boston. Google the cover and you shall find out why...)

5 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Glad you had a good trip and are enjoying being back home. I'm still away and have come to the unfortunate realization that I AM addicted to the internet! :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Hart Johnson said...

Elizabeth, I am too--no need to feel badly.

Mari-I'm very glad you're back. It's hard to start rumors about you in a vacuum.

And that cartoon made me snort.

Cruella Collett said...

Fine, maybe I am a little addicted... It was more of the "not as bad as I thought it would be"-variety. I definitely enjoy spending time away from my laptop every now and then. (I did check my email daily, though)

And I am glad to be back so that I once again am eligible for being the victim of rumours ;)

Natasha said...

I was pretty sure I had commented. Definitely remember typing in something about whether or not a certain lady was the author of the cartoon.

Cruella Collett said...

I may confirm your suspicion, Natasha. I did indeed make the cartoon. Now if only I could actually draw, I might continue making them. Unfortunately, this is the absolute highlight of my ability ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails